Are you doing work you love?
If not, you’re not alone. Over 57% of American’s are unsatisfied with their current jobs, whether it’s not enough pay, lack of purpose, or slow advancement.
I get it. I’ve been in many shitty jobs, where I didn’t feel like I belonged, and where everyday felt like groundhog day, repeating the same tasks over and over again.
Over half of our lives will be spent working, and possibly more now that we’re able to extend our lifespan with new technology advancements. Do we really want to spend half of our lives being miserable?
This is the mission that Suzy Welch and Jack Welch are looking to solve with their newly released book: The Real-Life MBA.
According to Suzy, 70% of employees feel misaligned in their organization, which is a critical factor that results in feeling unsatisfied in their workplace.
This is why I wanted to sit down with Suzy to talk about what are the specific steps we can all take to dig ourselves out of crummy jobs, how to find a career you’ll love (or what Suzy calls our “Area of Destiny), and how we can accelerate our careers, even if we’re just starting out.
What gives Suzy and Jack the credibility, you may ask?
Jack Welch is recognized as one of the greatest CEO’s of all time. As the former Chairman and CEO of General Electric, he grew the company’s value by over 4,000% during his 20 year tenure, and received the largest severance payment in history of $417 million.
Suzy started out her career at Bain & Co., a world-class management consulting firm, after she graduated from Harvard Business School with a Baker Scholar award (top 5% of class).
She’s also worked as an Editor for Harvard Business Review, written a New York Times best-selling book, and have writte columns for Oprah Magazine, Wall Street Journal, BusinessWeek, and much more.
Suzy is witty, quick, and quite entertaining. But more importantly, through her experience in journalism, she does an amazing job breaking down exactly what are the steps we need to take to find a career we love.
If you feel stuck in your current job, or simply want to accelerate your career faster, you need to listen to this episode.
p.s – Suzy and I are doing a book giveaway. You can post your answers in the comments section.
Watch the video to learn more 🙂
Suzy’s Question for the Book Giveaway:
“When you picture yourself at age 50, what would be your biggest achievement?”
Never miss an Episode:
Highlights of the Episode
- What Suzy would do if she was 22 to accelerate her career
- How to build a mission statement that’s authentic and lasting
- What to do if you want to attract a world-class team to your company or organization
- How love relates to standing out from the crowd
- What are the steps to take if you feel stuck in your job right now
- How to find a career you love by intersecting what you’re good at and what you love to do (or what Suzy calls our Area of Destiny)
- Key questions to ask yourself to know what you love doing
- Why you should surround yourself with people who love their jobs
- 3 things (including red flags) you should look for before you take a job
Links Mentioned in the Episode
- Suzy’s Twitter
- Jack Welch’s Online MBA School
- About Jack Welch
- Book: How to Win Friends and Influence People
- Book: The Real-Life MBA (by Suzy and Jack)
- Book: 10-10-10: A Fast and Powerful Way to Get Unstuck in Love, at Work, and with Your Family
- Book: Winning
Related Episodes & Articles You May Enjoy
- Chase Jarvis on Increasing Creativity, Life Transitions, and Doing Work You Love
- How to Find Your Passion and Do Work You Love
- Adam Braun: Leaving a Fortune 500 Company to Changing the World
What did you think of Suzy’s message? I’d love to hear your key takeaways 🙂
Remember, if you want to enter to win the book giveaway, post your answer to Suzy’s question below and we’ll pick the best one!