We’re surrounded by products that we use on a daily basis, even hourly. From social networks like Facebook to music platforms like Spotify, we can’t get enough.
Why are we so damn addicted to these products?
According to our guest Nir Eyal, it all comes down to habit. In his new best-selling book, Hooked: How to Build Habit-Forming Products, which he co-authored with founder of Product Hunt, Ryan Hoover, there’s a blueprint to engineering these addicting products from scratch.
Nir and Ryan have extensive experience when it comes to building habit-forming products. Nir is a frequent contributor for TechCrunch, Psychology Today, Forbes, and speaks at Fortune500 Companies to share his research on psychology and technology. He’s sold two startups, that were in the gaming and advertising industry, and Ryan designed the addicting platform ProductHunt, which recently raised $6.1M.
Through reverse engineering some of the most popular platforms out there, Nir shows us in the interview how entrepreneurs, creatives, marketers, or anyone building a product can embed habits inside the product, that will keep users coming back for more.
In this fun interview, we talk about building world-class, addicting products, how to make habit-forming work for us to achieve our potential, and maximizing productivity to get more done everyday. Enjoy this one!
Never miss an Episode:
This podcast is brought to you by Rype, the fastest way to learn how to speak a new language.
Rype personally matchmakes you with a handpicked, native speaking tutor to become conversation fluent faster.
Click this link and receive a free 30-minute Spanish lesson. Give it a go!
Audible.com: Get a FREE Audiobook today and choose from
over 180,000+ books that are available for you.
Head over to https://thegrowthlist.com/books
Similar AudioBooks I Recommend on Audible:
- Zero to One: Notes on Startups, or How to Build the Future by Peter Thiel
- Traction: A Startup’s Guide to Getting Traction
Highlights of the Episode
- Why we’re so addicted to certain products like Whatsapp, Spotify, and Facebook
- The blueprint for designing your own addicting product (not limited to apps)
- How we form habits psychologically with products and our lives
- How to resist FOMO – Fear of Missing Out – when we make decisions
- Knowing when to quit and when to persist in tough times
- How Nir leverages habit-forming to maximize his productivity
Links Mentioned in the Episode
- Nir’s Blog – NirandFar
- Nir’s Twitter
- Nir’s Book – Hooked: How to Build Habit-Forming Products
- Nir’s Audiobook on Audible (Get it free by signing up)
- Talk on The Next Web
Related Episodes & Articles You May Enjoy
- Eric Ries: How to Build Successful Startups Faster
- Jason Fried: Why You Should Build a Company That Lasts
Did you enjoy this episode?
Give us a 5-start rating on iTunes! It’s the best way to spread the podcast to more #growers!
Now I’d love to hear from you!
What did you take away from Nir’s interview that you’ll use today?
I read and respond to each comment.