If you’re interested in online businesses or running your own business in general, then you should be familiar with the importance of Search Engine Optimization (SEO). It’s a marketing strategy that you can use to rank higher on search engines such as Google, Bing, or Yahoo.
Since there are over 3.5 Billion searches happening per day on Google alone, this makes SEO one of the most effective and scalable strategies in online marketing.
Our lovely and humble guest, Rand Fishkin, has built a $36,000,000 (yes, that’s 6 zeros) annual business, that helps other companies with their SEO and other marketing strategies. With over 150 employees, Moz is now one of the top leaders in online marketing tools.
But you’ll be surprised to hear their humble beginnings. In fact, Rand is a self-claimed “accidental entrepreneur.”
After dropping out of college, Rand joined his mom, who was running a marketing agency at the time. Not the digital marketing agencies that you see today, but the ones where they created pamphlets and brochures — the old school way of promoting!
It took many years before they finally decided to introduce a software tool, which they originally built for themselves internally, where people can access by paying a monthly subscription.
Rand and I dig deeper into the humble beginnings of his journey, the difficult decisions he had to make when making several transitions in his business and how he made them, and Rand drops some amazing knowledge on marketing strategies that will take your business to the next level after listening.
Never miss an Episode:
This podcast is brought to you by Rype, the best way to learn how to speak a new language.
Rype personally matchmakes you with a handpicked, native speaking tutor to become conversation fluent faster.
Highlights of the Episode
- The origins of how Rand became an “accidental entrepreneur” described in detail
- The steps Rand took in order to transition from trading time for money, to building a scaleable, multi-million dollar business
- The pros and cons of raising money from outside investors, and what Rand recommends
- How Moz used inbound marketing and blogging to build a massive following and initial loyal customers
- How to use inbound marketing as a competitive advantage before, during, and after your launch your product or service
- Why it’s okay not to know what you’re doing when starting a business or pursuing your dream
- What Rand would do differently if he had to start Moz from day one
- What is a “flywheel” marketing channel, and why it’s the essential foundation to grow your business
- The 3 components Rand recommends when you’re deciding on a marketing strategy today
- Rand’s challenge to #growers looking to make the leap towards their dream
Links Mentioned in the Episode
- Moz.com Website
- Moz’s Blog & Forum
- Rand’s Twitter
- The first white board Friday video (“vidcast”)
- Managing Oneself by Peter Drucker
Rand’s Challenge to #Growers
“Become self-aware of your strengths, and what you love and hate doing.”